Study Abroad at Jiao Tong University in Shanghai
Conveniently located in Shanghai; a metropolitan city that also serves as China’s most important financial center, Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU) is among the oldest, most prestigious universities in China. Jiao Tong University is one of two that host our study abroad language programs in Shanghai, the other being Fudan University.
Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU) was founded in 1896 as Nanyang College by a civil servant. By the 1930’s the institute became known as ‘Eastern MIT’ because of its expertise in nurturing top engineers and scientists. Today Jiao Tong has five campuses – Xuhui, Minhang, Luwan, Qibao, and Fahua – which take up an area of approximately 400 hectares, housing a variety of activities from student life to athletics, entertainment, and research facilities (which have laboratories that are among the best in China).
Should you choose the exciting opportunity of coming to Shanghai to learn Chinese, you may find yourself at Jiaotong University, which has more than 2 400 overseas students. It has a rich culture and a long history spanning over a hundred years. The campus has a vibrant arts scene, providing endless opportunities to experience and enjoy quality education.
If you wish to study abroad in Shanghai, this university should be at the top of your consideration list; language programs here are becoming increasingly popular due to Shanghai’s fame. However, if you don’t like large campuses, Go Abroad China can help you find a smaller Shanghai Mandarin School.
Among SJTU’s highly-acclaimed alumni are the former Chinese Premier, Jiang Zemin; Chen Zhu, a molecular biologist who rose to become China’s Minister for Health and China’s top professional snooker player, Ding Junhui.
SJTU has attracted both national and international interest due to its profound cultural background, teaching traditions and research excellence which encourages technological innovations. This centennial university has become a comprehensive, research-oriented, world-class tertiary institution that upholds the values of innovation, cultural heritage, truth and invigorating the Chinese nation. A university like this will help you develop your knowledge and skills and have a profound impact on your future.
Why Jiao Tong University?
Join the local and international who have found Shanghai Jiao Tong University a great place to learn and socialize.
- Teachers' staff includes 891 experienced professors, 70 of whom teach language classes.
- 5 500 overseas students are currently enrolled here
- Serene and beautiful campuses housing a variety of activities from student life, athletics, extensive libraries, and entertainment to research facilities (which have laboratories that are among the best in China)
- HSK Examination Center
- Modern Chinese class and excellent multimedia facilities.
- Xuhui campus offers convenient transportation options and a perfect learning environment.
- A global university with numerous overseas partners. The University of Michigan, MIT, Georgia Tech, Cornell and research institutes such as RAND are only a few among the list of institutions and organizations in close cooperation with SJTU.
- International recognition for outstanding academic performance
- Total immersion in Chinese language and culture
- Affordable, accredited and quality Chinese language programs
- The program fee covers tuition, accommodation, visa support documents, textbooks, certificate, free culture electives, social activities and guided tours to tourist sites, networking events, welcome pack, and total support and assistance
- Homestay accommodation or shared apartment with a Chinese roommate
- College credit transfer available
Transcripts & Certification
Upon successful completion of the Go Abroad China Mandarin Language Program at Nanjing University, you will receive an official certificate and results transcript from the university, which is accepted by most universities around the world. Successful completion requires an 80% attendance rate and passing grades for the exams and overall course. Once you have completed the course Go Abroad China will provide you with all the necessary documentation and assistance for credit transfer. Study abroad for a semester here; you will soon be speaking Chinese like one of the locals!
Why Choose GAC?
Transferring to an international university in another country can be a complicated process. Making sure you have everything sorted, from choosing the right place to study to transferring credits, organizing visas and getting around can do your head in. Go Abroad China is here to make the process as smooth as possible; we’ll handle all the details and ensure your stay in China is memorable for the right reasons! GAC can make sure you get into the university of your choice, organize all the details for you, help you with your visa and arrange the little extras that make the experience worthwhile! GAC arranges affordable, accredited and quality Chinese language programs. We’ve placed thousands of happy students and would love to do the same for you. With GAC you get:
Cultural and Outdoor Experiences
Certificate and Course Credits
24/7 Support Hotline
Chinese Language Courses at Shanghai Jiao Tong University
Learn Chinese in Shanghai at Jiao Tong University’s Chinese Language School and be fully immersed in Mandarin Chinese and the Chinese culture. Your classes will include all aspects of learning Mandarin Chinese, including speaking, listening, reading, writing, grammar, classical Chinese and Chinese affairs. The program has been designed to accelerate your grasp and proficiency in Mandarin Chinese.
The highly qualified staff have years of experience of teaching Chinese as a second language and helping students to achieve excellent results in a short time. Classes are available for any Mandarin proficiency level from absolute beginners to advanced students. Along with your language classes, a series of free lectures will be provided for a deeper understanding of Chinese culture, society, history and traditions.
When you learn Chinese in Shanghai and take a semester abroad, your course highlights will include:
- 120 hours of classes overall for one course
- Seven levels of intensive Chinese language
- The Business Chinese class aims to advance language proficiency while also ensuring students become familiar with Chinese business culture and business operations
- Interactive assignments such as case studies, business discussions, and debates
The Jiao Tong University Mandarin School programs include:
- Learning Mandarin in Shanghai
- A choice of one semester or a full academic year
- More than 70 experience professors each of whom carry the minimum of a Master’s degree
- Classes that cover both the traditional aspects of China as well as modern Chinese business models
- Fully equipped multimedia classes and high-quality study materials
- Extracurricular activities such as table tennis competitions, a miniature World Expo, a talent show, dragon boat racing, and more.
What’s Included in the Program Fee ?
At GAC, our primary aim is to make sure your stay in China is as smooth and hassle-free as possible. Over time we’ve found that our students ultimately become our friends. Our programs can easily be customized to suit your needs. Whether you want to come and learn Chinese and study in China for a few weeks, over winter or summer, for a semester or an academic year, Go Abroad China have a program for you. If you still have questions or want to know more, why not contact us? Our team is here to help you every step of the way. Your program fee includes the following:
Shanghai Jiao Tong University 2018 Program Dates
Shanghai Jiao Tong University Program Prices (NEW)
*All prices in USD
- There are two program levels – Standard and Intensive. The standard program includes 20 academic hours a week, while the intensive course includes 25 hours. The intensive program is suitable for students who want to accelerate their learning and want to achieve fluency in Chinese in a shorter time. The standard program is great for those who prefer a slower pace of studying and like to combine learning with leisure.
- The program application deadline is two weeks before the program starts.
- The timing and program schedule are flexible. We will make all necessary arrangements before your arrival and stay in China.
- Each program component, such as Chinese language curriculum, the full Internship package, accommodation and others are optional. The price of the excluded components will be deducted from the overall package price for you. We can also provide individualized, customized programs based on your specific requirement. A homestay only program is also available.
- Additional language classes fees are: USD $30 per hour for additional one-on-one tutoring classes，USD $25 per hour for additional small classes.
If you have any other questions or requirements, don’t hesitate to contact us online or email us at [email protected].
Learn Chinese in China’s Top Universities
Four Easy Steps to Learning Chinese in China
Step one: Apply online
Once you have an idea about where, when and for how long you want to learn Chinese in China, complete our online application form to get the ball rolling.
Step two: Assessment
To make sure we know what you want from your Chinese learning experience – why you want to study abroad, what you want to achieve, where and for how long you’d like to stay – we’ll organize a 15 minute Skype interview with you. From this, we can make sure we tailor the right Learn Chinese Package for you. We’ll also know if this is the right program for you. Within two to three days after the interview, the coordinator will be in touch by email to let you know if your application has been successful. If so, we’ll send you a formal offer.
Step three: Confirmation
To confirm your placement in our program, you’ll need to reply to our letter of offer and pay your agreed deposit. Once this has been done, we’ll send you all the documents you need: your contract and all the required documents for your study visa application as well as your pre-departure package. The pre-departure package contains all the information you’ll need regarding your trip including where you’ll stay.
Step Four: Start your Chinese study experience
Once your flights have been booked, let us know your arrival details (date and time, flight number) so that we can organize airport pick-up. We’ll be excited to welcome you to our program in person!
Our support doesn’t end when you arrive. We are as dedicated to ensuring you have around the clock support for the duration of your stay as we do in getting you here. Your journey will include your paid internship, accommodation, language courses, cultural experiences, tours, and networking.
What are you waiting for? Apply online now!
Learn Chinese the fastest way in an immersive and culturally rich experience which will fast track your learning experience. Have all your needs taken care of and broaden your horizons, be more independent and make friends for life!
Promotions & Financial Aid
We want everyone to have the chance to live and study in China; to make this possible we have a range of financial options available to support students who cannot afford full fees. Contact us today to discuss promotions, full and partial sponsorship opportunities.
Our prices range from US$3,280 to US$11,480 depending on your accommodation and length of stay.